Sunday, May 1, 2011

The British Theme Continues

It's been another week of all things British at my house, particularly in the television and needlepoint areas. I thoroughly enjoyed watching all the programs leading up to the royal wedding, the wedding itself, and the recaps of the wedding. I've watched wedding coverage on the news channels, TLC, E!, and followed the wedding online at the Daily Mail Online. Did you get up early to watch the wedding live or did you sleep in and catch it later in the day? I got up at 5:00 AM, fixed my tea and settled in for an early morning of wedding festivities. I thought Kate's dress was so elegant and so perfect for her. Did you know that the lace appliques on her dress were stitched at the Royal School of Needlework located at Henry VIII's Hampton Court Palace? Sarah Burton, who designed Kate's dress, was set up with a secret, temporary studio at Hampton Court where she and Kate held top-secret fittings. I read where the part-time embroiderers (aged 19 to 70) washed their hands every 30 minutes while stitching and changed their needles every 3 hours to ensure that they were sharp and clean. Their efforts certainly paid off. This dress has become an instant classic and their fine stitching will be preserved for generations to come.

I have to admit that I haven't taken that much care with my Queen Elizabeth while stitching her this week - no changing needles every three hours, anyway. I worked more on her bodice this week and, for the most part, finished that area. There is still a lot of work to do in the batwing area on either side of her head.


I started on the diamond eyelets in the "lacey" areas of the right batwing. It didn't take long to grow tired of tiny white stitches so last night while watching the last two episodes of the new Upstairs, Downstairs (I told you the British theme continues) on PBS, I worked on the gold ribbon rosettes around the red Rhodes stitches. I am using Gloriana 4mm ribbon for the rosettes that is gathered and stitched in place around the Rhodes stitches. It takes a while to do each one but I love the dimension it adds to this area of the canvas. I would love to think I might move on to the sleeve area this week but I think that this week will still find me stitching the batwings.

I took a look around the back yard this morning and was amazed at how many of my perennials are ready to bloom. My Easter lilies from last year are ready to bloom and some of the hydrangeas are starting to show some color. My Stella d'Oro daylilies are all starting to bloom as of this morning. A perfect way to start a beautiful May Day!

Hope your May is off to a good start! Enjoy your Sunday stitching!

4 comments:

  1. Melinda

    I love how your "Queen" is coming along. The stitches are just perfect. I, too, got up at 1AM and watched the wedding and enjoyed it all. Kate is a real beauty and her dress was so elegant. Thanks for the tidbits about the making of the dress.

    Have a great week

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melinda,

    Sounds like you had a really Royal week.
    The Queen is coming out great. I love everything you and Amy have come with to make her truly regal.
    Enjoy your stitching time this week.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sue and Linda - Thanks for stopping by! I'm having fun with the Queen. Amy really did a great job with the stitch guide. I told her that she has spoiled me for anyone else's stitch guide!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Melinda...

    I love everything about the Queen!!!

    Your blog and your dedication to stitching inspires and keeps ME motivated.

    Yesterday, I posted a note on the finishing of your Halloweenies on a long ago post that you made, hoping that you would get notification of that post.

    I do not want to kidnap this post talking about finishing long ago...

    Please post a picture of 'The Family' as finished for you, or let me know how we can connect...

    Much appreciated....
    Susan

    ReplyDelete