Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Weekend Was Too Short

Did I miss a day of the weekend? How can it be over with already? I accomplished everything I had hoped to on Saturday and Sunday but I would really like to think that Monday is not coming as quickly as it is.

We had a beautiful weekend here in Georgia and I grilled out Friday night and Saturday night. Friday night  I cooked a pork tenderloin on the grill and Saturday night grilled chicken breasts were on the menu. Tonight - and several more nights this week - I have great leftovers and easy side dishes. I can oven roast some asparagus, boil some bi-color corn, re-heat the macaroni and cheese, or toss a salad. I love it when my meals for the week work out this way!

Look what was delivered to me yesterday -


Andrew and Anna sent me this beautiful azalea basket for Mother's Day. I look forward to planting it in the backyard. I missed not being with them today! I hope all of you enjoyed a lovely Mother's Day!

Saturday morning I was out early and went by a local nursery to pick up some plants for the patio and yard. I came home with an interesting assortment. 


I have two new thyme plants, basil, two apricot purslanes, two diamond frosts, a penta, and a New Guinea impatiens. This morning was the perfect time to get these into pots and into the ground. It was sunny and cool with just enough of a breeze to move the wind chimes. I'll try and remember what this morning was like when July and August come around and there aren't any cool mornings in sight!

I made some nice progress on Queen Elizabeth this week. She now has her emeralds, sapphires, amethysts, and rubies stitched around the border. Fyre Werks threads make a nice substitution for the real gems!


I need to add a gold edging to each gem but for now, I'll go back and work on the right batwing and complete the ribbon rosettes and the diamond eyelet outer area of the batwing. My night time stitching this week has been a balancing act. My cat, Little Girl, who spends most of the day outside now that it's nice and warm, has insisted on sitting in my lap every night as if to make up for the lack of "lap time" during the day. So, I have tried to balance her in my lap and pull my canvas on the stand up and over her. It isn't comfortable (for me) but it works for her and she's a happy kitty.

I meant to mention long before now that De Selby, the editor of Spool, sent me a complimentary copy of her new, quarterly needlearts magazine. De wanted me to see her own Queen that is featured in the Winter 2011 issue. De's Queen proclaims "Off With Your Shoes!". This is a counted thread design and it's as cute as can be. If you love anything that is stitched with a needle, you will thoroughly enjoy Spool.  I thought the layout and design of Spool was very current and fresh. While there were not many articles or projects devoted to needlepoint (in this issue), it was fun to see the many projects for knitters, crocheters, cross stitchers, sewers, and embroiderers. There are some fun-filled projects to be had in this magazine.  Even though I have put down my knitting needles, it was inspiring to see the wonderful knitted projects that were in the winter issue. You can check out Spool online and, while you're there, enter your subscription. You may just find Spool in your local needlework store. 

I hear some leftovers in the refrigerator calling my name. I must answer the call!

 I hope you have a wonderful week!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melinda,
    Sounds like you had a very productive weekend. The azalea plant is beautiful.
    You do have wonderful children.
    The Queen is just beautiful. It is amazing how Frye Werks really makes the gemstones look real. You have accomplished a lot on her this week.
    Enjoy the rest of your special day.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. The eyes and ears are just perfect on The Queen. I can't wait to see what you do next. :) The flowers were really pretty. How lucky were you to get a copy of Spool! I haven't seen the winter issue but it sounds just awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete