Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sunflower and Berries Class at In Stitches

I spent Friday and Saturday at In Stitches in Atlanta in Robin King's Sunflower and Berries class. What a fabulous two days! The class, the teacher, the canvas, the store, my fellow stitchers - all of those elements came together for a really fun learning experience.


Sunflower and Berries is a NeedleDeeva canvas that has been beautifully brought to life by Robin King. This photo is of Robin's framed piece that was our inspiration for the weekend. Robin brought all of her skills to this piece with lots of interesting stitches, techniques, and threads. We started Friday morning learning about stump work and creating a strawberry that adds so much dimension to the canvas. I'll probably make another strawberry to replace the first one I made. I have two smaller strawberries to make as well. There is definitely a learning curve involved but nothing that can't be overcome with a little practice.

We moved on to the petals of the sunflower using a Giant Double Brick stitch and just two threads of a golden Splendor. These stitches are basically covered by the ribbon petals on top but they are quite pretty on their own as the light coverage of the threads lets the shading of the painted canvas show through.



Our next area involved the dark brown center of the sunflower. This is a fun part of the canvas and I can't wait to get back to it. First we laid down a grid of 4-way Continental in a Kreinik. Then Robin showed us how to stack dark brown and golden beads to give the sunflower center such a nice vertical dimension. Do you see in the photo taken in this morning's sun how the bead stack actually casts a shadow? This technique really had all of us thinking of how we can use this with great effect on other canvases in our stashes.



From there we worked on the deep purple border using Splendor and Kreinik in a Slanted Burden and Slanted Brick. This stitch combination presents some challenges especially since you're working the dark purple threads on a dark purple painted area of canvas. Working it in an outer area of the canvas that was white was still challenging. Good lighting is definitely a requirement for working this part of the canvas.



That was what we did just on Friday! On Saturday we concentrated on the leaves, ribbon techniques, the ribbon petals on the sunflower, and the background. The background is so pretty and delicate. It is a version of Julia Snyder's Confetti ribbons which Robin has adapted for this canvas. The ribbons are stitched in a very pale lavendar Kreinik which Robin discovered is a glow-in-the-dark thread. It is now discontinued but for those of us in the class, we'll have a background that glows in the dark! This stitch definitely requires that you work in nice quiet place with few distractions.

One of the most wonderful parts of the weekend was meeting some women in person I have only "met" on Facebook and through my blog or theirs. What fun it was to finally connect with Robin, Vicky, Elizabeth, and Margaret. I have followed Robin and Vicky DeAngelis on their blogs.  It was quite a surprise to see Vicky drive up with Bam and Robin on Friday morning! Vicky won the prize for travelling the farthest for this class - all the way from San Diego! Elizabeth and Margaret I have met through the blog and on Facebook.


That's Vicky in the foreground and Robin in the background.



Here are Elizabeth (left) and Margaret (right) with Barbara in the background. We had a very compatible stitching group at our table. Each of our tables had a cheerful vase of sunflowers - how appropriate!

While we stayed busy in class, there were always a few minutes here and there to do some shopping. Bam at In Stitches really has one of the most well-stocked stores I have ever visited. Her thread selection in incredible. I added two small canvases to my collection. I love my new Mindy Christmas cupcake canvas and a Kelly Clark pear candy cane. I also picked up a new supply of needles and some cute magnets.




Well, now it's time to get back to reality. I've got to head to the grocery store and there's work waiting for me at my desk this afternoon. But, there will be some time for stitching, too.

Have a great week ahead!

13 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you. Isn't Elizabeth a hoot? I met her in person at Amy's in March after "knowing" her from the internet. Sounds like you girls had the best time. What a great learning canvas, and pretty to boot. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a wonderful time and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Elizabeth. This canvas really is a great learning piece and was perfect for a classrom project. Your birthday sounds like it couldn't have been better. I love that your son found a book that is special to you. It makes me think we did well by our sons when they remember us in such a thoughtful way.

      Delete
  2. What a great time. I am very jealous that you have such a large store within driving distance. I absolutely love this canvas and would love to stitch it, if only Robin would come to Michigan to one of our needlepoint stores to teach. I can't wait to see it finished. 19 more days until Amy's. I am so excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diane - You are so kind to say such nice things about the blog! Thank you. I appreciate that you make this journey with me and that we can share what we love to do. Why don't you ask your nearest needlepoint store if they would bring Robin to their store? I bet she would consider it. She's a wonderful teacher and just the nicest, kindest person! You would really like her!

      I can't believe it's almost time for us to go to Memphis. I'll email you and get your contact information closer to the date. Do you need me to pick you up at the airport? I'm driving so I would be more than happy to pick you up.

      Delete
  3. P.S. I just wanted you to know that I must re-read your blog once a day during the week. I love way you write and all of your beautiful pictures. Thank you for always making my week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melinda,
    What a fabulous trip and class! I am so happy that you got to meet such wonderful stitchers. This piece is beautiful and the best part is all the new things you learned. Love all your purchases. Cannot wait to meet you.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I had so much fun and learned so much. Can't wait for another fun stitching weekend with you, Karen, and Diane in Memphis!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing your stitching adventure. Now that I'm about to retire I hope to have some time for stitching adventures. You sharing your adventure is encouring me to try a class even if I go alone. Your piece is fantastic and it sounds like you had a great time. I enjoy following your blog and seeing what you are working on. How do you find about all the classes? Mary Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary Jane! I envy your imminent retirement. I "retired" for about five months once! Hope yours lasts longer than mine did! I hope you will find a class nearby that you might enjoy. So many shops have newsletters or websites that keep you up to date with any classes that they might be offering. Do you read the Needlepoint Now magazine? So many shops advertise there and that could provide you with a place to start looking for classes in your area. Thanks for stopping by the blog!

      Delete
  6. Melinda, it was great meeting you this past weekend at In Stitches. Thank you for your kind words. Can't wait to see your progress on the Sunflower and Berries... as well as your other upcoming projects. Hugs to you and your mew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sweet, Robin, to stop by. You deserve many more kind words than I can offer. I enjoyed the class so much and will enjoy continuing to work on the canvas. I finished the sunflower petals last night and look forward to getting back to the dark brown center. I'll continue to post pictures of my progress.

      Delete
  7. I popped in with my husband on Friday while y'all were in class. It is a gorgeous canvas and will be beautiful when finished!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Melinda - I found your blog by hopping from another - imagine my surprise - a few Df's of mine frequent In Stitches and Robin King is teaching this piece and another one in the fall at Bristly Thistle in NE FL - my area - I enjoyed reading your very detailed description of the class - I have marked your blog and will come back and visit often. I used to come to Counted Stitches in No Augusta a lot in the 90's - I still do some sampler stitching but order almost everything on line however there is nothing like being able to visit a np shop in person. Maybe our paths will cross one day. Cheers ! melody

    ReplyDelete