Monday, July 26, 2010

A Fun Birthday Weekend

I spent my birthday weekend in Jacksonville with Andrew and Anna. We had such a good time and they really indulged me in all the things I wanted to do. Saturday night they took me to Bistro Aix for a fabulous dinner. Anna and I had seen Chef Tom at the Paula Deen event in June and I have been anxious to try his food ever since. I had a delicious summer vegetable risotto and a crispy herb polenta. Andrew had lamb and Anna had mussels (with the most delicious garlicy french fries you could possibly imagine). Andrew and Anna had arranged for a beautiful bouquet of Asiatic lilies to be placed on our table. I should have taken a picture because they were/are spectacular.

On Sunday we drove a little north of Jacksonville and took the St. John's Ferry across to Mayport Village. I've wanted to do that ever since I saw that there is a ferry. It was all of a 10 minute ferry ride but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Once in Mayport Village, we stopped in at Singleton's Seafood Shack for lunch. Look who else has been to Singleton's recently.


Guy Fieri ate there in February. We didn't see that until we left and wondered what he had chosen to eat while there. We weren't all that impressed with our lunch. I don't even eat seafood but figured that a slaw dog wouldn't be a bad choice. I'll take a Dairy Queen slaw dog any day over this one. It was a forgettable meal. Guy must know something we didn't!

The other thing I wanted to do for my birthday was to go to the beach Sunday evening and that's what we did. We drove over to Ponte Vedra Beach and stopped by the Fresh Market and picked up sandwiches and cupcakes for our beach picnic. We got out to the beach about 7:45 and found it still crowded with people. We found a peaceful spot and set up our chairs and enjoyed people watching while we ate our picnic supper. Will we Americans every get used to seeing European men in their itsy bitsy Speedos? Very distracting! Fortunately, the rising full moon was more distracting. It was so beautiful - I wish this photo did it justice.


                                           

What a beautiful evening it was - a perfect temperature, a light breeze, and the two people I love the most. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect birthday evening.

My Groom is calling to me this evening urging me to get busy and finish him up. I just haven't gotten a lot of stitching done this past week. Some weeks are like that!

Hope you all have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment