Monday, October 4, 2010

Autumn at the Atlanta Botanical Garden

Andrew, Anna, and I spent some time on Sunday morning at the Atlanta Botanical Garden. We couldn't have had a nicer day - crystal clear skies, a light breeze, and temps in the upper 60's! The gardens were decked out for the fall and Halloween. Their special exhibit right now centers around chocolate - everything from cultivation of the cacao tree to the finished product. When you walk into the Visitor's Center, you are enveloped in the scent of chocolate. That's a great way to start a visit anywhere, don't you think?

Andrew took lots of pictures and I wanted to share a few of them with you.


I was so happy to see the Dale Chihuly piece still in the fountain. It must have been purchased following the Chihuly in the Garden exhibit in 2004.


These pumpkin topiaries (I think that's what you would call them) are so cute and I am seriously thinking about copying them - on a smaller scale - in the two planters at my front steps. I think you could get a piece of iron rebar or something similar at Home Depot and impale (!) the pumpkins and gourds on it and place it in the pot. Don't you think it would last outside until Thanksgiving?

If my knee had not been bothering me, I would have walked over to another part of the garden and been able to see this fabulous cornucopia in person. I'm glad Andrew and Anna got to see it. Look at all the glass pumpkins and gourds! You could buy smaller versions of these in the garden gift store. I resisted the temptation and it was the hardest thing I did all day.


The pumpkin patch featured glass pumpkins as well.


This steel sculpture with the glass pears is another favorite of mine.


I'll leave you with this incredible orchid photo. The color combination was unbelievable. I wish I could tell you the name of this orchid, but I didn't see its label. The conservatory is filled with many exotic plants just like this one.

If I lived in Atlanta, I would surely be a member of the Botanical Garden. It's such a lovely, peaceful place in the middle of the city. It would be a great place to escape when the traffic and the hustle and bustle of the city becomes too much. Hope you enjoyed this little escape with me!

4 comments:

  1. Great posting, Melinda. I attended the Dale Chihuly exhibit in Atlanta (2004) and it was awesome. For any of your blog readers, they MUST try to attend a Dale Chihuly exhibit in their region. Atlanta is a great city... I really need to visit it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely field trip, Melinda. I never go anywhere so it is great fun for me to see places through other stitchers' eyes.

    I love the Halloween header photo. It is just perfect to see your finished Halloweenies ready for the party!

    Jane, waving from CH

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Garden is fantastic! We were there last summer and got to see all the orchids and Chihuly as well. Thanks for sharing the fall pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you came along with me to the Gardens! I'm already looking forward to my next trip. I haven't been at Christmas and I would imagine that it is really beautiful during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete